Saturday, June 25, 2005

Gettin' Jiggy Wit It

Last Sunday Rockstar and I worked a private event at the estate of Will and Jada Pinkett Smith. We were both really excited because it would be a party with a lot of celebrities and we wanted to see what a $20 million dollar movie star's house looked like.

We took an exit off of the highway and then proceeded to drive around an area where there wasn't much of anything except desert. We saw a huge wooden gate that was the entrance to the property. After buzzing in we drove along a street and passed a lot of little buildings on the property until we reached the main house.

Let me tell you, I have never really been jealous of what movie star's have, but this house made me change my mind. It was gorgeous. It was huge, and done in a Western style. The house looked like it was made out of adobe and it was so big and beautiful that Rockstar and I just had to take a minute and stare at it.

The event was a basketball tournament being held on father's day. A bunch of guys and their families came over to play ball and eat BBQ food. They had a full length outdoor basketball court with bleachers and a DJ set up. Down below in one of the driveways, they set up a tent with food and beverage stations that Rocky and I manned.

This was the COOLEST event we have ever worked. Everyone was extremely nice to us, the celebrities, the people that worked at the house, the kids. Everyone talked to us, made jokes with us, were very polite to us, and no one seemed to have any type of attitude that they were better than us. The people that worked at the house, our bosses, were very polite when they asked us to do anything. A lot of times when we work at an event where their are celebrities, everyone is really uptight and stressed and they don't treat you very well if you are the help. But these people were different. Right from the very beginning it was cool. Will Smith walked up to Rockstar and I and shook our hands and asked us how we were doing. Jada didn't shake our hands, but she was very nice every time she was around.

The only small problem was the other woman that we worked with. She was a real pain in the ass. One of the first things out of her mouth was "Are you a couple?" to Rockstar and I. I thought it was really funny, but Rockstar is perceived to be gay by people so he has a chip on his shoulder when people say things like that. After that she was one of those passive/aggressive people who always had to ask you if you were sure about something you are doing. Meaning that she had a better way, but didn't just want to come right out and say it. Things like "Are you sure you don't want to put the ice in first?", "Aren't you putting to much on the plate?", "Are you sure you don't want to put a tablecloth on the ground first?" Things like that, which might not seem like a pain, but after 8 hours of it, it got a little old. She was one of those people who thought she was always right and would let you know she disagreed with what you were doing without telling you right away. She even did it to our bosses and the guests, which really made me mad because I thought they might not use our company again because of her.

There were not that many celebrities there, Cedric the Entertainer, Eric LaSalle, Alphonso Ribero, Tisha Campbell, and a bunch of people that I recognized from "Third Watch", "The Chapelle Show", and commercials, but I didn't know their names. A couple of athletes were there as well. Mike Williams who was a stud receiver two years ago for USC and was drafted this year was there. He was about 6'5'' and probably around 230 lbs. Most of the cornerbacks in the NFL are around 5'10" which is close to my height and standing next to him I couldn't understand how a guy my size covers a receiver like him. There was also a retired basketball player named Mark Jackson who I was really excited to see, and they mentioned that Michael Vick was there but I think they were joking because I didn't see him.

At the end of the night, we brought all of the drinks into a really cool bar/game room area where a bunch of guys were watching the NBA finals. The room looked out past the pool to a lake up against mountains and I can imagine just sitting there and watching the sun set.

We worked about 9 hours and they gave us all a nice tip. I can't say enough about how great everything was at there place, and that not all celebrities are assholes.

This week at work I noticed that I had been added to the request list for Will Smith's place, so hopefully I can work there again.

2 Comments:

At 2:18 PM, Blogger bck said...

you and i blogged about the same thing.. uh-oh. i thought that was never gonna happen?

i must be at the nexus of the universe!

 
At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad i finally got to here about this. btw...5'10"...come on now, you know yer 5'6" on tip toes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home