Sunday, March 20, 2005

Second Improv Show

I had my second show tonight at the theater. I thought it went pretty well. We had a better crowd than the first show, with about 20 people showing up. I think I did okay, but still don’t think I did as well as I could have. Most of the people in the show did very well, so the show overall was funny and a lot of good people did a lot of good improv.

Here is my one overall critique of people doing “prepared characters” for an improv show. If that is how you want to perform, fine with me. I don’t choose to put a lot of time into a costume or props because that is not going to make your character or your show funnier. If you come out in a funny costume, you may get one first laugh but then you have to have some weight behind it. One thing though really is starting to annoy me. We all know that gay guys are HILARIOUS. Especially the “flaming” gay guys. They are the funniest of all. We all know it. They way that they speak with a lisp, they way that they all wear t-shits with slightly sexual titles on them like, “I’m with him, literally”, or “Call me Betty” or “My boyfriend has this same shirt”. The way that when they speak everything they talk about is sexual. All traits that have been bred for comedy. BUT CAN STRAIGHT GUYS PLEASE STOP DOING THESE CHARACTERS IN IMPROV SHOWS. Just once I would really like to see someone portray a gay guy as a completely normal guy, who happens to be gay. Who doesn’t talk with a lisp, who doesn’t bring up sex every six seconds. Please, I would really like to see that. But the audience loves it. It always gets a huge laugh when a guy walks out on stage with a really tight t-shirt, some sort of funny hat, some sort of jewelry and begins a scene talking about how he loves to go shopping, listening to Liza Minelli and having unprotected sex with strangers. But please give it a rest for a while. Thank you.

In case you didn’t get it, the description of gay men in the above paragraph was meant to be sarcastic. But I was serious about being tired of seeing it in shows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home