Sunday, March 06, 2005

Week's End

The latter part of last week went by pretty quickly. Nothing new at work. I still don’t like it very much but I am getting used to it. I spent the better part of Thursday dealing with Jimmy from Discount Electronics. He wanted to order a bunch of televisions with VCR and DVDs, all different sizes. I gave him prices for every model and he wanted me to drop the price for every model 2-3 dollars. I asked my boss and he told me the prices I gave him were the lowest that we could go. Jimmy threatened to go to another company, wanted me to personally check our inventory, called me every five minutes to check on the discount price and then ended up ordering the products at the price I gave him during the first phone call. So I spent over two hours for what should have been a ten-minute phone call. But at least it killed some time.

I went to a get together for my friend T who was turning 33 this weekend. It was nice to catch-up with him since I haven’t seen him in a while. I met him while doing a “pilot” for a really bad television show in Chicago. We hung out for about 15 hours before we shot our 30-second scene. So we got to know each other pretty well. He was making a movie called “The Promise of You” with another friend of his. He thought I would be good for a part in the movie. I ended up shooting that movie with him, and some of my best friends came from that experience. I just watched it again recently and I was really proud of how it turned out. It is a really special time when you are working on a project with people who are doing it for no money, just because they want to be there.

I finally went shopping for some real food. I had been getting by on just sandwiches and microwave dinners for a while, but I was starting to feel unhealthy, so I bought a lot of good stuff for me. Veggies, fruit, chicken breasts, turkey meat, and tuna fish are all back on the menu at my household.

I have been really lazy lately about a lot of stuff. I haven’t worked out in God knows how long, but I need to get back into it because I can feel myself getting soft. So I am instituting a walking regiment for the morning, just so I can get my body started off right. I also bought stuff for breakfast, which is something that I almost never eat. I usually get by on just coffee.

Two new movies viewed this weekend. I will do a quick review.

Open Water: I had heard a lot about this movie when it first came out. It is a low budget movie, shot on Digital Video about a husband and wife who are left behind on a scuba diving trip and they spend most of the movie in the water with sharks. The big “story” about this movie was that the real actors were in the ocean with the sharks swimming around them. They were wearing “shark armor” which is a suit of chain mail that the shark’s teeth cannot pierce, but they were right next to them.
I really did not like the movie. For some reason the way it was shot and edited bugged me. It has nothing to do with the fact that it was Digital Video, just the way it was made. I also think some of the acting was bad, but who am I to criticize.

Comedian: This is a documentary of Jerry Seinfeld creating a brand new stand up act, since he has retired the old one. It follows him as he goes to different clubs in NY and tries out material. It also follows a young comedian named Orney Adams as he seeks fame and fortune. I really like this movie. It is really interesting to see how comedians get their material ready for big shows. Basically they just go from club to club and see how the jokes go over on the audience. Jerry is funny and you see him interacting with other famous comedians like Chris Rock, Colin Quinn, Robert Klein and Bill Cosby and talking about their lives as a stand-up and where they are today. Onery, on the other hand, annoyed during the first five minutes of him being on screen. He seems really pompous and arrogant and all he cares about is that he is a great comedian and people don’t give him his credit. He didn’t seem that funny to me, but he is a successful comedian.

So there are a couple of movie reviews for movies you might not have seen. I am heading back to work tomorrow and improv class tomorrow night. At least I have something to look forward to.

1 Comments:

At 1:21 AM, Blogger bck said...

hey, i enjoyed your movie reviews. i also liked comedian. say, have you seen poolhall junkies?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home