Saturday, October 02, 2004

Extra Moron's

I do not consider myself an extremely intelligent person. I think I am smart, but I'll bet that there are a lot of people smarter than me in this city, but most of them do NOT do extra work. I run into people every day that I would never have a conversation with unless we were stuck next to each other for hours at a time. I seem to be a magnet for strange people who just like to talk to other humans. Most of the time, when I go to set, I don't know anyone and I sit by myself. A lot of those times I overhear conversations that people are having with each other and want to shoot myself while I am listening to them. Here are a selection of the conversations I have overheard.

Conversation #1

Two men are discussing the stock market. One man has made a lot of money in the stock market day trading and is therefore pro-stock market. One man has lost money in the stock market so he is anti-stockmarket. There is a lone strange female who is sitting near them listening to their conversation. When they are done the women starts to speak to the anti-stockmarket man.

Man:.....I just don't trust those guys running it. They are only out for themselves. They lie and cheat and that's why I stay away from it (the stockmarket)

Woman: The STARK market?

Man: No, the STOCK market.

Woman: What's the STARK market?

Man: STOCK, STOCK market.

Woman: Oh, STOCK market. Why don't you like it?

Man: The brokers who invest for you are a bunch of crooks. You can't trust them, they are only looking out for themselves.

Woman: Oh. (VERY LONG PAUSE) So, were you a stockbroker for a long time?

Man: No, I wasn't a stockbroker.

Woman: Right. So why didn't you like it?

Man: No, I wasn't a broker. I don't like them.

Woman: So you didn't like being a broker and that's why you don't like the stock market.

At this point I was ready to kill someone, so I left and went out into the hallway to get away from it. I went back in later and they had thankfully ended the great financial debate. But they weren't done.

Woman: It looks like you got some sun?

Man: Today?

Woman: You're sunburned.

Man: From today?

Woman: Was today the day you got sun?

Man: I don't know.

Woman: Oh. (VERY LONG PAUSE AGAIN) It was sunny today.

Cue another walk into the hallway.

Conversation #2

I was working on Cold Case and we were in a hotel ballroom waiting to go to work. There was a table of primarily African Americans next to the table I was sitting at. I was listening to their conversation because they were discussing racism. Here is where I stopped listening.

Man #1: I mean the fact that today we still have racism is wrong. People work very hard to make things equal and some folks still don't get it.

Man #2: Yeah. Didn't we take care of this in the 30's?

Man #1: You bet your ass we did!

And somewhere in heaven Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. weeps.

Conversation #3

I worked on a movie called Sky High for the last three weeks. Most of the people working there were very young, around 19-21. I lot of them were stupid. There was an announcement to tell us the story of the film. Basically it is a high school where every kid has super powers. The high school is up in the sky, hence the name. I was standing near a group of girls who I KNEW heard the announcement, because I was near them when they told all of us. Apparently one of them hadn't heard and asked the others what the movie was about.

Girl #1: So, what is going on at this school?

Girl #2: Apparently we're in space or some shit.

Girl #3: Yeah, we're really high up. Like above the sun or something.

Above the sun indeed. I hope your looks last honey, cause you ain't got nothing else going for you.

I have a million of these. I will add some every now and then when things get boring in my own life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home