Sunday, August 08, 2004

The Postman rings twice

On Wednesday, I worked another day as a union extra on the set of “Desperate Housewives”. I felt better getting to Universal Studios because I had been there before and knew what to expect. I got into the van with a gentleman whom I recognized as being on many television shows. I sat next to him and listened as some of the other people made chit chat in the van. We got to the wardrobe location at 7:45 and the Production Assistant told me to go get some breakfast because the wardrobe people would not be ready for me until 8am. So I walked down the hill of Steven Spielberg drive and got to Colonial Street where the set was for the show. They had moved catering to the end of the street. I walked there, grabbed some coffee and looked at my watch. I had about 5 minutes to get back to wardrobe. I started walking quickly back down the street towards the hill. I couldn’t go very fast because I had a cup full of hot coffee and I did not want to spill it on the set. I got to the hill and started walking quickly up it. If you ever want a challenge, try walking up a steep hill quickly, trying not to spill your coffee or look like an idiot. I failed at both. I guess I could have poured out some coffee on the way up since it was no where near the set, but that didn’t occur to me at the time. So I just plowed ahead, remembering that it is much more difficult walking up a hill than down it.

I was out of breath when I got back to wardrobe, but I made it on time. They gave me my mailman uniform and I changed into it. Another van took me back to Colonial Street and I sat in the holding area for extras. I sat, and sat, and sat. Around 10am I got up and walked to where I could see them shooting. A Production Assistant came up to me and introduced himself. I noticed that he was wearing a Cubs hat so I asked him if he was a fan or just liked the hat. He told me that he went to school at Northwestern and lived in Chicago for 3 years after that. We talked about the trade for Nomar, the differences between sports in L.A. and Chicago, and other stuff like that. I realized that I really missed talking Chicago sports with people who knew about it. Even though I am a Green Bay Packer fan, it is always nice to talk about the Chicago Bears once in a while.

They didn’t use me once the entire day. I sat and read for a long time. I talked to my parents, my sister, and the other extras. Lunch was really good, but we didn’t eat until 2pm. I got the feeling that they were running behind schedule. The guy I rode up with in the van plays the husband, or ex-husband of Teri Hatcher on the show. I got to see Teri up close and she is a VERY skinny woman. I also was watching where the husband had to change shirts for a different scene and he is really built well. I started thinking about how I should start working out and eating better so I could have a body like that. Then I walked over to craft services and ate pizza and an ice cream bar. I will start working out tomorrow.

The day ended at 8:30pm. I had been there over 12 hours and they didn’t use me in one shot. Not that I am complaining. I made some decent money and now I only need one more union voucher before I can join SAG. On the van ride down to the parking garage, I heard someone ask over the radio when they would need the mail truck again. The reply came back that they would need it next Tuesday. So, I may have my final voucher in a week.

Things are looking good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home