Friday, July 09, 2004

New Place to Call Home

I checked out a couple of apartments today. My friend "A" knows a guy who manages a building and he had a couple of openings for studios. One is really nice and has a full kitchen with a refridgerator. I guess that a lot of places don't have them here. People take fridges with them from apartment to apartment? That is just plan weird.

So if this guy pulls the strings, I can move in to my first L.A. apartment next week. It will be really great to be on my own. I don't feel good unless I have the "life stuff" taken care of. Apartment, bank account, new cell #, etc. So this will be a step in the right direction.

I also called my assistant director friend who can get me on the television show she is working on as a SAG extra. So when I get my 3 vouchers of work, I can be in the union. Which is key out here. My next step is to get an agent. Easier said than done.

A new segment that I will be adding to this journal will be tips/ advice for other actors. Things about L.A. or just general tips I feel are important to being successful in this business.

TIPS FOR GETTING HIRED AGAIN BY THE SAME PEOPLE

1. BE ON TIME!!!! I cannot stress this enough. Sure everyone is late every now and then. But you should ALWAYS be on time when somone else is paying the bills. It just creates headaches for those in charge and makes you look really unprofessional.

2. BE PREPARED!!!! The Boyscouts have it right. Know your lines. Bring what they tell you to, and bring extra stuff that only you know that you will need. Books, music, cellphone. You need to be able to take care of yourself while you are there.

3. BE FUN TO WORK WITH!!!! Nothing is worse than someone who bitches on set. Everyone is working hard. Chances are there are 20 people working harder than you are. So be able to roll with the punches. Joke around, make people smile, but get the work done too. Stress turns people into someone they usually are not. When you have 15 minutes of light left and your running out of film, and someone forgot a prop, and the boom keeps getting into the shot, keep your cool. Remember, your acting right? So have fun, be enthusiastic and people will hire you again.

4. TREAT THE CREW LIKE ROYALTY!!!! This is coming from an actor but I am a big believer in this philosophy. The crew gets there before you do, works harder than you do, and don't get the credit they deserve. So when the food is served, let the crew eat first. And get to know them. They are all cool people who have other projects. You never know who might remember you as a jerk, or a great person to work with when they get ther next gig.

5. THANK EVERYONE!!!! After a long day, everyone wants to go home. But people like it when they are shown respect and are thanked for their hard work. So do that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home