Saturday, October 01, 2005

Emmy's Galore

There are two actual Emmy award shows. The first one is for technical achievements. Set design, wardrobe, makeup, that sort of thing. The second one is for the actors, shows, writers, and the stuff that people pay attention to. I was lucky enough to work both events at the Shrine auditorium.

The first event was pretty cool. There were hundreds of servers working, along with cooks, and event staff so it was kind of a crazy, cluster fuck, but I didn't mind. I was assigned to work a table and when all of my guests had sat down, I noticed that every couple had an Emmy. I had 10 people and 5 HUGE Emmy's sitting at my table, which equates to a 100% Emmy winner table. They were all very nice, and VERY happy of course and I was working for a different company than I usually do so I was making more money, which made the event a success in my book.

The following weekend, I worked the award show that everyone watches. I was doing the same thing, working a table in a particular section, but it was pretty cool seeing all of the celebrities. My table faced the exit of the theater into the dining area, so you name the celebrity and chances are I saw them. Highlights for me included, Ben waffle's, whoop Goldberg, quantum trending, Christian Slater, Blythe Danner, Oliver Platt, Conan O'Brien, Will Arnett, Jason Bateman, Ellen DeGeneres and Jennifer Love Hewett, who I don't really like as an actress but is just so cute in person.

The event was really crowded and we had to hustle to get people their food quickly but the people at the event could have cared less if they were in our way. Lots of lollygagging around, even though they could clearly see that there was a line of 20 waiters trying to get by to go to the kitchen. But people were having fun and that was the most important thing. At one point I was walking to the kitchen and this dude was ahead of me blocking my path. He was waking extremely slowly and because of the crowd I had no choice but to walk behind him and hope the he either sped up or let me by or turned. I decided to have some fun and invented a game called "kick the back of shoes". The rules of this game are pretty simple. You kick the back of the person's shoes ahead of you until they let you by. I kicked this guy four times before he turned around and glared at me. I said "I am REALLY, REALLY SORRY SIR" and he saw that I was all flustered and carrying trays so he let me pass by him. I laughed and laughed at my new game, but no one else that I played it with seemed to enjoy it as much as I did.

I did get pretty depressed at one point during the night. I was clearing away some dirty dishes and it just hit me that I am at the center of where I want to be, surrounded by working actors, and I was taking dirty dishes to be washed. Not that I wanted to be at the Emmy award shows, but just to be a working actor would be nice.

Next Year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home